• Users Online: 508
  • Home
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
Home About us Editorial board Search Ahead of print Current issue Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2018  |  Volume : 9  |  Issue : 3  |  Page : 81-84

B-Cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia fluorescence in situ hybridization panel findings at tertiary care hospital in Saudi Arabia


1 Hematology Section, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Center, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
2 Adult Hematology/HSCT, Oncology Center, King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Center, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

Correspondence Address:
Dr. Wedian Mustafa Rawas
Section of Hematopathology, Department Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, King Faisal Specialist Hospital And Research Center, Riyadh
Saudi Arabia
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/joah.joah_27_18

Rights and Permissions

BACKGROUND/PURPOSE: B-cell-chronic lymphocytic leukemia (B-CLL) is the most common leukemia in the Western world and shows a remarkable heterogeneity in the clinical course. Understanding the genetic basis of B-cell-CLL may help in clarifying the molecular bases of this clinical heterogeneity. Recurrent chromosomal aberrations at 13q14, 12q15, 11q22-q23 and 17p13, and TP53 mutations are the first genetic lesions identified as drivers of the disease. While some of these lesions are associated with poor outcome (17p13 deletion, TP53 mutations and to a lesser extent, 11q22-q23 deletion), others are linked to a favorable course (13q14 deletion as sole aberration). This study evaluates the frequency of each chromosomal abnormality using fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) Panel at our institution with comparison to other international studies. MATERIALS AND METHODS: We reviewed 147 peripheral blood and bone marrow samples which represent all B-cell-CLL cases diagnosed at our hospital from 2012 to 2016 by morphology and flow cytometry immunophenotyping followed by specific B-cell-CLL-FISH panel including MDM2/Cen12 for Trisomy 12, 13q14 (D13S319)/13q34 deletion, ATM (11q22.3) deletion, P53(17p13.1) deletion, and CCND1/IGH translocation (11;14). RESULTS: Between 2012 and 2016, a total of 147 B-cell-CLL patients were investigated using B-cell-CLL-FISH panel at our institution King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Center-Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, with age ranging between 36 and 89 years and a median age of 62 years. The majority of the patients with the abnormal FISH pattern, 70% (73/105), had a single abnormality with the remaining 30% (32/105) showed more than one genetic abnormality including two cases where all five probes were positive. CONCLUSION: The heterogeneous clinical course of B-CLL is likely explained by underlying molecular prognostic factors including data from FISH probes. Moving forward, analyzing these factors at diagnosis is recommended for better prognostication and outcome of the disease.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed137    
    Printed9    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded30    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal